Re: PC Lighting / Endcap / DIY Hood Question

Baker, Anthony wrote:
> All right electronic DIY gurus of the APD...
>
> Does anyone have any experience with waterproof endcaps for PCF
> bulbs?
> Specifically, I am looking at building a DIY wooden hood for my
> 48"x17"
> tank, and would like to eliminate the need for a cover glass (the
> whole
> point of the DIY hood is to make access to the tank easier and look
> good).
>
> I have searched around, and it looks like the waterproof endcaps
> (specifically the ones from CSL and from Champion Lighting)  are
> pricey --
> about 30 bucks per socket w/ cord.  I already have the PCF setups
> (one AH
> Supply 96 watt and one 2x55 watt Oceanic strip), so I don't like the
> idea of
> spending 90 bucks for some endcaps.  To further complicate things,
> the 96
> watt is a square / Panasonic-style pin arrangement and the 2x55 watt
> sockets
> are the straight / German style.
>
> I read on http://home.pacifier.com/~tab/55W.htm that "using
> Plastidip" can
> be used to waterproof / insulate the standard plastic sockets.  I
> guess that
> I would be able to keep the same sockets I have now.  Finally, I will
> need
> to remote-mount the 2 electronic ballasts in my stand, and I have
> some
> experience with this, but does anyone have any suggestions for type /
> source
> of wire to use between the ballasts and the sockets?
>
> Any advice and/or comments appreciated.

Just a couple of thoughts:
I would expect the plastidip material to harden and "dry" out rather
quickly when exposed to the many hours of heat at the socket end of a
PC.  I don't think any end cap is actually waterproof--just water
resistant.  So be sure to have a good quality GFCI on the lights if
you're not going to use a glass cover -- just good safety practice
anyhow.

Also, expect more of the lamp's heat to reach the water than would be
the case with glass insulation between the lamp and water.

Scott H.