Re: art and the planted aquarium

Lazarus Miskowski <lazmiskowski at yahoo_com> wrote:

<snip>
It seems to me that an aquascaping contest is ALL
about art.  The AGA can be about many things, but the
contest ought to be about art.  If people want, maybe
there can be other kinds of contests, like points for
the number of species you can grow in a year
<snip>

Why not use a system based on the one used in the Dutch contest ?
AFAIK, there are points for the aspects directly related to
the aquascape in an artistic sense, such as composition, use of
colors and textrues, etc. But there are also points, and a lot of
them, for aquaria-type topics. Such as the use of fish as
elements of the composition (their colors, sizes, numbers and
behaviors, and how all these aspects mingle with the planted
aquascape). Fish and plant health are also taken into account. And
there are points for the technical aspects, including, as far as
I remember, details such as the ease of access and use of maintenance
and control gear. Of course this type of thing cannot be done based
on pictures alone. But maybe we could find useful ideas in their
rules.

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD

  "Buy a fish, Save a tree !"