Re: art and the planted aquarium

"Roger S. Miller" <rgrmill at rt66_com> wrote:

<snip>
> vital and 3-dimensional.  By contrast, art in the European tradition
> (and hence common US culture) is something apart from everyday life.
> Visual art is generally inanimate and most often two-dimensional.
<snip>

Roger,

Aren't you simplifying things too much ? From the Renaissance on, European
visual art (I'm thinking painting) is deeply commited to achieving
3-dimensional effects. The creative uses of light/shade invented by 16th
century Flemish painters are a good example. Use of color and texture to
emphasize perspective is another. Several 18th and 19th century French and
British painters created landscape paintings that are full of movement,
despite not including a single human presence in the painting. We can go
on and on with examples, sorry I cannot reacall names rigth now. Anyway, I
do not agree that we can excuse US "aquascapers" based on the premise that
European art is mostly inanimate and 2-D. I think it migth be just because
plant aquariums and aquascaping with plants is still a rather young aspect
of the hobby here. Most people are still struggling with the basics.

<snip>
> There's room here for all of us, but from my point of view I'd rather
> hear more discussion of asymmetry and juxtaposition and maybe less
> discussion of charts and fertilizers.

I'm 100% with you on this one.

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD