RE: Hardware store filters

I wrote:

"In an effort to get a little more clarity in my 90 gallon aquarium water, I
added a hardware store cannister type water filter. It's the kind intended
to filter out sediments in tapwater, not RO or DI or anything fancy. The
cannister was $16 and the filter cartridges look like spun fiber, $7 for
two. Does anyone have any experience with the expected service life of these
filter cartridges in an aquarium application?"

My experience: About three days, five max. Doesn't appear to be a viable
alternative. I'll leave it plumbed in without the filter cartridge until I
get around to trying the pleated type, but a HOT is probably easier to work
with.

Tom