Aquanetics UV sterilizer

I recently ordered a Aquanetics UV sterilizer (15W
non-quartz  [15IL is the exact model]).
Unfortunately, at the time, I didn't know much about
sterilizers, but I did a bit of research online before
buying.  However, after reading through the manual, it
indicates that the non-quartz version cannot be used
on cold-water.  In the manual, it mentions 72F as the
threshold, but on their web site, it is 70F.  I guess
that this will work ok for my tropical tank (roughly
72-74).
However, I wanted to also be able to use this on my
cold-water tank, and I was wondering if there is a way
to do that without ordering another sterilizer (a
quartz model this time).
As I understand, the reason that cold water cannot be
used is that it cools the UV lamp to a lower
temperature and the lamp doesn't emit as much UV light
at a lower temperature (or does it stop giving off UV
light all together?).  I am also afraid that the cold
water might actually crack the light and cause an
electrical shock.  Am I just being paranoid about
this? (the water temperature on my cold-water tank
doesn't drop bellow 60F)
In terms of my options, I basically have two (other
than ordering a new quartz version for my cold-water
tank)

option #1:  To buy a quartz sleeve.  I think the
version for my unit runs around $36.  If I order the
sleeve, will it fit my non-quartz unit? or does that
only work with the quartz models.  Because basically,
the sleeve serves to insulate the bulb from the
water's temperature (and the reason they use quartz is
because ordinary glass is opaque to UV light).  So I
would just need to buy it and slip it around the bulb
(the web site recommends some type of lubricant since
the sleeve is very fragile).  Before I go crazy and
give this a try, I was wondering if anyone has
experience with this? (or if you could offer any
advice at all)

Option #2:  Just run it regardless.  I could just try
it on my cold-water tank (unless 60F water can crack
the bulb and cause shock???  Can anyone confirm
this???)  Or would it just not work as effectively
since the bulb would be colder and wouldn't emit as
much UV light (or would it emit *any* UV light at
all?)

I appreciate any advice you guys (and gals) can offer
on this!

Thanks