Stock levels and macros

Hi all,

I am a newcomer to this list but I have been avidly reading the new posts
over the past few weeks and as much of the archives as I can. I am now
suffering from information overload!

I am particularly fascinated/confused by the Roger Miller and Tom Barr
posts. My own aquariums more or less follow the 'Optimum Aquarium'
concept(except with external canister filtration and minimal surface
turbulence)with med/low fish stocks and only CO2, K, iron and trace
fertilization.

My question (actually I have many, but this is the main one for now) is why
maintain low stocking levels and light feeding while at the same time adding
NO3 and PO4 fertilizers? Why not enjoy more fish in the aquarium and add
these Macros in the form of food?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, or has been answered many times before,
but I have to start somewhere.

Roy Wadey.