Re: Noisy Cannister Filters

Dgrim62 at cs_com wrote:

<snip>
> I surmised that since I get lots of pearling in my leaves with intense light,
> CO2 injection, etc., that the tank water is highly saturated with oxygen and
> that some of this is getting drawn into the intake of the Eheims and collects
> inside the filter, with the requisite burp happening from time to time. Does
> this make sense?
<snip>

Most likely, it is cavitation at the impeller itself that draws O2 from
solution. Even if no bubbles are present in the water inside the canister,
the impeller will almost cavitate under 100% gas saturation. It's my hunch
that most canister filters will eventually burp and gurgle at the end of
the photoperiod in high-light tanks where O2 levels reach saturation. Some
filters will truly air lock, others will just burp the bubble out, depending
on design.

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD

  "Buy a fish, Save a tree !"