Re: fungus

> The symbiotic relationship between mycorrhizae and plants is
> mutualistic---one that benefits both partners.  The fungus makes the plant
> more efficient at getting phosphorus from the soil, and possibly other
> nutrients.

What about the water column? This sample came from the water column.

 Whthout their mycorrhizae, land plants can hardly grow at all
> when in competition with other plants that have mycorrhizae.  I have seen
> mycorrhizae on of all things, Ceratophyllum, a plant that has no roots.

Did you see an infected cell? Or just presence? Distinction between a
substrate for attachment and infection is a critical issue. An inert rock
laying on the mud could have fungal hyphae on it also.

> Nonetheless, all the parts of the stem which were in contact with the mud
> had a dense coating of long fungal hyphae.

See any fruit?

I plan on looking at this issue in more depth. Checking the substrates with
a rock etc vs the plant's roots would help make a distinction. I have noted
clear infection threads in this plant sample.
It would be interesting to look into this one in more depth. Plants with
strong aerhynchma systems would seem to have this. If they slow down
photosynthesis, say from less CO2, then there will be less carbohydrates for
the fungus and less minerals for the plants and perhaps less O2 in the roots
as well.
I better shut up and go do something else:) I still need to look at this
before saying more.
Regards,
Tom Barr