Corralling Bacopa / Crypt probs

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions for y'all:

[1]  I have some Bacopa caroliniana that is proving to be quite innovative
at circumventing my efforts to corral it.  I thought I finally had it
blocked off, but while I was congratulating myself on success, the Bacopa
was actually running stems deep under the substrate which are now starting
to pop up all over.  Any ideas on how to block the under growth without
completely re-doing the tank?  I'd also like some advice on how to remove
the subterranean stems without damaging / disrupting the roots of the other
plants.  Am I doomed to replanting the whole deal?  This is my best-looking
planted tank (when the Bacopa's in check) and I'd hate to tear it down just
as it's getting mature.

[2]  I have a 20 gallon high that I refer to as my Crypt tank.  It's mostly
wendtii, willisii, and petchii(?), but there may be another specie or two
in there.  Anyway, almost every one of the plants / groups has some roots
coming up from the substrate now.  At first I suspected compaction of the
substrate (Flourite / soil underlayer), but I poked around with a chopstick
and the substrate seems to be loose.  The plants look good overall and are
growing well enough, but I do see some melting of leaves on occasion which
I suspect is related to the root thing since tank conditions stay
relatively constant and have for some time.  Any ideas on what's going on?

I'm happy to provide more info if necessary.

Thanks a heap,
Chuck

Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee  USA