Re: evaporation marks

       From: john wheeler <jcwheel76 at yahoo_com>

Does anyone know how to get rid of the white
evaporation marks on dry aquaria? You know, the lines
of white stain on the glass.....

If they are mineral calcium deposits, they are easily removed with an acid
and a little scrubbing.  I have found marks which are not so easily
removed, and I am pretty sure they are actual etching of the glass or
silica deposits.  These, I have not been able to remove with elbow grease,
but a powerful buffing tool and cerium oxide powder might work.  I have
found that glass in aquariums which have been in use for around 15 years or
longer is mildly etched everywhere, but this is only noticeable when the
glass is dry.

Paul Krombholz, in central Mississippi where the atmosphere is finally
moistening up in preparation for a frontal passage tomorrow.