Removing mineral deposits from glass covers...

This is probably old hat for most of you, but its new
for me, so I figured I'd report for anyone else out
there that just needed a clue.  :)

Any way...  I was having problems with mineral
deposits on my glass covers.  So bad, that it was
blocking light far more than I realized (until now).
Any way, as per some suggestions on this list in the
past, I tride to clean it off with vinegar several
times in the past, but I wasn't getting anywhere.  It
just wouldn't budge.  Then it hit me.  I layed a paper
towel soaked in vinegar (as in dripping wet) on the
glass and left it to soak.  Half an hour later I came
back and wiped it down.  Sure enough, that worked
like a charm.  It needs another soaking, but its 90%
clean now.

Short of tearing down the tank though, I can't figure
out how to apply this knowledge to the tank itself. :/