Regarding Ultraviolet Sterilizers

Good to hear Don Lee praising UV sterilizers. We have been using them for
several years to reduce background bacteria levels which we found as high as
500+ /ml tankwater. I understand from the Water treatment people that 80/ml
is considered high in natural waters. Apart from helping solve a greenwater
problem they are very useful for some disease treatment - particularly if
you don't want to reach for the chemicals or antibiotics. We have used them
to control many diseases, particularly in fry and delicate fish where there
is sensitivity to commercial treatments.

 There was a very good article in FAMA Aquarium magazine, Dec 1993 regarding
its use and effectiveness. If anyone can get hold of it, it is certainly
worth reading.

Tim Henshaw
Bolton Museum Aquarium
email :    aquarium at bolton_gov.uk
Web site : http://www.boltonmuseums.org.uk
tim.henshaw at bolton_gov.uk <mailto:tim.henshaw at bolton_gov.uk>
w at whenshaw_freeserve.co.uk