"Chain sword" forms

The chain sword story, like many other aquatic plant tales, is a bit
convoluted.

First, like others have suggested, read Neil Frank's informative article in
the first issue of Dave's brainchild -- "Planted Aquaria Magazine." Mr. Frank
sheds some light here on the different types one might encounter and explains
short day and long day growth forms.

If you don't have this magazine -- order all back issues available and
subscribe immediately, taking full advantage of the discount available on the
multiyear sign up. It's a bargain at that price and sure to become a valuable
collector's item as this planted aquaria trend accelerates.

Look at the pictures in the article taking careful note of the fact that some
are mislabeled. Remember, this was a "first edition" and the usual bugs were
being worked out on the printing and distribution end. This will only add to
the value in years to come.

Please note that I have no affiliation with "Planted Aquaria Magazine,"
receive no monetary incentives for endorsing it and that the above, while
entirely accurate and completely factual, is only my opinion, blah, blah and
etc.

Amano also displays excellent pictures of the "micro" sword variety in most
of his books. It has a reddish cast in high light situations and is rarely
encountered commercially. I'd send you some, but I lost all mine when it
became so entangled with staghorn that I ripped it out of the foreground and
put it into emerged growth where it eventually all faded away. Prior to that,
it covered one half of the foreground in a 75gal tank and was never taller
than 1 inch. Personally, I didn't care for the red color as it didn't
contrast enough with the brown gravel I was using. On black gravel it could
be awesome. Very invasive though.

I got mine from Neil Frank originally and he say he got it from a collector
who obtained it in, "northern South America." I live in Florida and there are
wild forms of it here as well, although they tend to be quiet a bit larger in
a tank. If you come to the convention in November, I'll give you some. :)

Hope this helps.

Bob Olesen
West Palm Beach