Re: BGA

> From: Olga Betts <saefish at mac_com>
> Subject: BG algae and trace elements
>
> I have a continuting nightmare with BG algae. No matter what I do  it
> returns and covers everything with thick slime. I dug out the test
> kits and tested and low and behold - even though I have been adding 2
> cc of PMDD daily the Nitrate and Iron readings are *none*! Is there a
> shelf life to potassium nitrate and trace element mix? (The test kits
> are okay - not old).

Use them in dry form but no there should not be. Iron perhaps.

I recently did a BGA kill off in a tank that sounded like yours. The owner
was impressed. Just removed the lighting and added KNO3 for awhile. BGA
likes High light/low nutrients(Cooper 1998). So do the opposite. I gave it 5
days of blackout. Water change before after and KNO3 to 5-10ppm.
I've never done a single cocktail of PMDD. I always have used a trace
mix(commerical) with KNO3/KH2PO4/K2SO4 to dose. I know it works and allows
more manipulations that will fit anyone's tank(some folks have PO4/NO3 etc
already or high fish loads). Also allows more manipulation of other macro's
without making new batches of PMDD.
You have soft water as I recall so that could be done up like the PMDD for
GH/KH. I like dry mixes myself.

> I have done another <sigh> water change, removed as much slime as
> possible, added Maracyn and this time I'm putting 6 cc of PMDD into
> the water daily. Tomorrow I will do some more tests. But meanwhile if
> someone can tell me if PMDD ingredients go bad, I'd appreciate it.

Mainly it might be the chelating agents go bad I had assumed from light
breakdown?

> Also this tank has now been set up about 8 years. At some point do
> substrates go bad and need shoveling out? Gad, I hope note! It is a
> terralit and gravel substrate.

Should be fine. Add some balls of clay enriched tablets such as those
SeaChem tablets if worried. Use chop sticks to lighten any compaction
issues.
Regards,
Tom Barr