RE: catching fish with plastic bottle trap-fish die

Robin Saunders Ryan wrote:

"I just want to add that this works great for SAE. I just did it two
days ago and caught the SAE within 5 minutes. Unfortunately, I took
them out, then left the trap in overnight to see if the bleeding heart
tetras would fall for it. When I woke up, I had the following in it:

1 clown loach,
1 spotted cory cat
2 cherry barbs
1 bushy nosed pleco

All were DEAD! presumably from lack of oxygen?? It was a 2 liter
bottle.

So, the trap works well, but please watch it - don't leave it overnight
like I did. Also, it doesn't work so well for bleeding heart tetras.
*sob* "

Good advice under any circumstances.  However, I have used a pint size
version of an inverted top bottle trap and caught numerous fish
including SAEs, platies, cories, and small rainbows -- very often
overnight -- and never had one show any signs of injury.  I'm not
bragging -- just lucky I guess.  Often there were three or four fish in
bottle by morning and I didn't have a change to release them until
later in the day.

Also a bully in the bottle could be disasterous for any others sharing
the space.

If water quality is a problems, perforations might help if one doesn't
leave jagged edges around the perforations.  Perfs will help only if
the bottle is in a current.

Very little bait is needed in this kind of trap.  I generally used one
pellet of dried food.  This was too large to be eaten by the first fish
into the bottle.