Re: Seachem equilibrium and Alkaline Buffer counter-ions

>So, alkaline buffer adds carbonates without sodium. someone on the
>list mentioned it did so with pottasium and calcium carbonates? but
>the exact ratios etc.. are not officially stated on the seachem web
>site.

 From the product label " [Alkaline Buffer] contains sodium,
potassium, magnesium, and other bicarbonate salts." We do not make
any claims or market on the point of how much is present because the
product is not, and should not be used as a supplement product for
those ions. Our product for increasing and maintaining GH and
potassium is Equilibrium (along with Flourish Potassium for potassium
only).

>Equilibrium re-mineralizes but again I don't know what the counter
>ions are. SO4? CO3? Cl?

If you read the description on our website or bottle you'll know you
can rule Cl- out ;-) Again, the anions are not a selling point, but
we do make a marketing and formulation point of not including anions
known to be detrimental at high levels (i.e. chloride).

>I would imagine that Equillibrium also raises the KH and Alkaline
>Buffer also raises the GH a bit.

No (to both).

>Is this true? If so what is the major advantage in using both
>products? For example could I use Acid Buffer and Equilibrium to
>maintain a pH of 6.0?

No, Equilibrium does not provide any buffering that would counter the
buffering of the Acid Buffer. The main advantage to using both
products, especially when starting from RO or DI water, is that you
have direct control on the levels of both the KH and GH and potassium
as well as final pH (when used with Acid Buffer as well if you want a
pH below 7). The general hardness levels (magnesium and calcium) as
well as potassium and sodium levels all influence the pK of the
bicarbonate buffer system and consequently at what pH the buffer
system will be most stable. Without calcium and magnesium the
bicarbonate buffer will tend to want to buffer quite high (above 8).
With adequate levels of calcium and magnesium the buffer system pK
will shift downward, closer to the 7.6 region which is easier to
control with either Acid Buffer or the natural organic acids produced
in every tank. And of course the plants need the calcium and
magnesium as well for their own biological processes.

--

Gregory Morin, Ph.D.  ~~~~~~~Research Director~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seachem Laboratories, Inc.      www.seachem.com     888-SEACHEM