Re: algae

> I should point out that before the yeast co2 stopped
> working, I had no algae whatsoever.  You CAN have tons
> of light like I do and have super fast growth, etc.  I
> think it's just that the margin for error is reduced.

Something got used up that you were not ready for/use to your OLD routine.
One that used less CO2/macro's/trace's.

> I think the better co2 system I put in induced an
> imbalance of macronutrients.

I don't think "imbalance" but perhaps "deficient" would be a better word.

>L  I'm just not sure
> exactly what.  Yes, I may be adding too much Flourish,
> but I think that a tank like mine would need the
> highest recommended amount.

Just do what I told you awhile ago.
NO3-5-10ppm
PO4 -.5ppm
K 20-30ppm estimated
Traces at 5mls every 3 days.
Keep the CO2 up and the water well mixed.

Add KNO3 at 1/8 th teaspoon 3 x a week
Add K2SO4 at 1/4 teaspoon weekly after water change
Add K2PO4 at a BB or two size 2 x a week.
Add CO2 to 20-30ppm
Add flourish/TMG at 5 mls 3 x a week.

Pick on algae that are in the tank. Remove algae covered leaves as much as
you can. Get all dead floating mulm/algae etc out vacuuming/net etc.
Then very lightly vacuum getting the surface mulm for the trimming out.
Do water changes to correct errors during the week. Do 50% weekly water
changes.
You have to be playing around with the CO2, not getting the right readings,
messing with your tap water RO mixing etc.
I mentioned to use the tap. You don't want to for some reason.
It has PO4 in it correct? And a decent KH? Unless it's real high in the
NO3's also you can use it. You've told me in the past that you had issues
with it. Well you have issues right now. But now you have CO2 and enough to
get good macro usage/uptake rates. Things are different.

> I DO NOT use acid buffer.  Only the scooper that came
> with it.
> My biggest problem now is what to do with the algae
> covered plants.  My plan is to try to do more testing
> and work out the macros after the blackout my tank is
> undergoing now.  Will this help?  I figure maybe 4
> days.  I'm not sure if all the algae will be dead
> after the lights come back on.  I'm keeping my fingers
> crossed.

Good plan and it will hurt the algae good. Trim well prior to doing this and
vac up all the leftover detritus, then do a big water change.

> My reason for the light level is even coverage.  I
> have a glass top that has a black strip down the
> middle.  The PCF sits behind it.  I had intended for
> that to be the sole source of light, but I found that
> while it is intense, it can't adequately illuminate
> the whole tank well enough from behind that strip.
> There's a clean line of red to green in my Rotala
> rotundifolia.  The T8s give better coverage to the
> front of the tank.

Well you could try 3 x 30 watt T8's. Got two already. Also, just set the 96
or the 30 watters to come for 4-6 hours only while the others stay on for
10-11 hours.
Regards,
Tom Barr