re: RE: SEVERE algae problem - HELP!

True true. What I said is from my perspective... and my aquariums, for
whatever reason seem to need little or no fertilizer. I'm pretty good about
keeping up on water changes, having good filtration, etc., so I like to push
the bio-load limits a wee bit - it could partly be that. I also have a
laterite substrate. That explains the rooted plants, but what about my
riccia and whatnot? *shrug* Haven't had any troubles so far. haha, even my
snails live forever. :( boo.

Hm. As far as buffering, are you referring to pH buffer? After some initial
failures (mostly related to CO2 and whatnot) I've found an excellent method
for keeping C02 in the water and preventing a pH crash at night. I use a DIY
co2 (yeasty yeasteroo) deal with one of those wooden air diffusers that
produces fine bubbles. I don't bother with anything more complex. My typical
filter is a HOB whisper (the ones that make a little waterfall). I use
different sized filters accordingly. My whole setup is timed (in fact, a few
of my aquariums are slaved to the same timers so they operate perfectly in
unison). I do not bleed my co2 or alter how much it puts in the water at any
time, save for when I need to refresh the yeast mix. Anyhow... During the
daytime, the filter is off and the light is on. Photosynthesis and all that
fun stuff goes on. In the evening, when the light goes off and respiration
occurs, the filter kicks in. Since CO2 is liberated by contact with air, the
filter (by creating turbulence atop the filter media and at the aquarium's
surface) keeps the pH in check all night. It only takes about 30 minutes in
the morning for the faster growing plants to begin pearling. So far this has
worked exceedingly well for me. I'd highly recommend trying this as a low
tech, inexpensive way to help keep your aquarium balanced. I regularly check
all the vital stats in regards to water chemistry and everything's green
light. I've even gotten so nerdy as to test the pH every 3 hours over a 24
hrs. period once to check for swings and whatnot. It's all good.

So, I know, bla bla, it's not super high tech and may scare some of you
extreme types that like to get all granular about water chemistry, but it's
worked for me so far. :) Wish me luck, this weekend I'm coughing up all the
money for a 55g planted tank replete with marlboro red discus. Woo woo!

-Bree,
guerilla plant enthus.

----