sick rainbows

  Sounds like a bacteria infection.  I use triple
sulfa very successfully without harm to the plants.
It takes two treatments to knock the infection down
and out.  I buy triple sulfa 100 pills at a time
around here.  Speed is of the essence or you will lose
all your fish.  The white patches you describe are a
common problem with rainbows.  Some people use furan 2
also, but as I have no experience with it I can't
vouch for it.