more about Clout

Not long ago I treated a problem with "flicking" fish using CLOUT; my
experience can be read about at
http://www.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants/month.200107/msg00626.html .
In the message I basically said I believed CLOUT performed as
advertised; I am writing a followup because now I'm not so sure. Or
possibly CLOUT is not really intended to be effective on the type of
problem I am experiencing? I just don't know.

And the general reason I'm writing anything at all is that I found
very little info about CLOUT and any other medications in the list
when I began looking for a solution to this problem.

Basically all behaviors indicating problems disappeared within days
after I first began using CLOUT ... but not forever - they
unfortunately returned after about 3 or 4 weeks. I immediately began
to treat the tank again with CLOUT, but this time with no apparent
success. I continued the treatment for 6 days (9 tabs per day, which
is even a higher dose than the instructions recommend for a 90g tank),
but the fish continued to flick against plants and rocks. Eventually I
decided that it simply wasn't working and discontinued treatments.

Very odd - it seems to have worked the first time, but not the second?
I had assumed that the first treatment had simply not killed all forms
of the parasite (or whatever it was that was plaguing my tank), and
that after an extra dose or two all would be well. But it didn't
happen that way.

I will say that the plants do not appear to have suffered during the
treatments. I did notice that after the extended 2nd treatment I got a
rash of spot algae on the glass, but nothing really to worry about.

The fish are still flicking, and it's getting worse. Any suggestions?

dan
--
Dan Resler                            email: dresler at vcu_edu
Computer Science Dept.