RE: BBA / Color Temp

Tom -

Thanks for the insight on the effects of color temperature.  Is it worth it,
however, to replace the two 55 watt 9320 K bulbs with 2 6700 K bulbs from AH
Supply?  I did look through the archives, but didn't find anything about
color temp and algae.

> SAE will help. Let me guess, you have DIY CO2 on a larger tanks than a 20
> gallon? A funny thing happens when folks get a gas system CO2 tank. They
do
> not have many algae problems or at the very least, they are greatly
reduced.
> DIY can be done but folks get lazy or have trouble etc.

Actually no, not DIY...  Tank specifics are:
60 gal tank w/ pressurized CO2 diffusing through a M3 J-diffuser (like the
Eheim one)
110 watts 9320 K PC + 96 watts 6700 K (3.4 watts/gal)
pH 6.4-6.8
KH / GH: 6 / 5
Nitrate less than 10?  (need new kit)

I am ordering some new test kits, and I think that I will be replacing the
J-diffuser with a DIY CO2 reactor and power head.  I think most of the BBA
resulted after I removed a lot of the fast growers (H. polysperma).  I think
I am going to pull up some of my swords (big like trees...) and replace with
some fast growing stem plants.
Currently I add Kent's Freshwater Plant 3-4X per week (about 5-10 mL) and
Seachem K supplement about 3X per week at 5 mL.  I change about 30% of the
water every week.

I am ordering the ingredients for PMDD from homegrown hydroponics today.  I
might see if I can get some phosphate too -- that could be limited I think.
Think I should add some?

Thanks for the help, and any other comments/advice appreciated.

-Tony