Re: Bacopa. L. Madagascarensis

> Subject: Bacopa myriophylloides
> Mine remind me a little of rosemary, with the slightly succulent,
> but short leaves. About a dozen radiate from each node, and the nodes are
> about a centimeter apart. I asked the store employee if maybe they were
> grown emerged, but she said they would indicate this on their plant/price
> list, and there was nothing.

It's emmersed growth. Submersed grow will be very fine needled.
Stunts pretty easily but does grow well for a period of time.
Got to be careful on the nutrient supply.

> Does anybody have any experience growing these? Any tips on how best to
> care for them? Right now, they are in my 2.5-gallon plant tank with an
> 8-watt fluorescent strip light and 100% Flourite substrate. I have CO2
> bubbling into the AquaClear MINI filter and the temperature stays between
> 76 and 79F. According to the info I could find, they'll grow to 12" in
> height so I'll eventually have to move them or get rid of them (like I did
> my H. micranthemoides). I also have Lobelia cardinalis 'small form', E.
> tenellus 'broad leaf' (apparently different from E. quadricostatus
> 'magdalenensis'), and E. parviflorus, all growing beautifully in this tank.
> The older leaves of the E. parviflorus and L. cardinalis seem to get
> affected by what looks like green spot algae, but the fairly large
> population of Malaysian trumpet snails and guppies (mom with 10
> one-week-old fry) seem to be enough to keep algae to a minimum.

This plant will be far more difficult in the long term for you than any of
these you've mentioned. It's tough plant to grow in the long term.
I kind of think it's adapted to have some submersed growth for a short
period(like a brief flooding period) but not a permanently or extended
amounts. I have trouble with it over more than 2 months. It stunts like
Rotala wallichii as some folks have stated..

 A similar form plant that is far better suited is Lagarosiphon
madagascarensis (the stuff Amano calls it, not Baensch) is like the
submersed growth somewhat or Mayaca also.

The L. mad is a fast grower doing well in super high light to low lighting.
Subject to melting and is not the best shipper but a very nice plant.
Regards,
Tom Barr