Heck I'm Lost

 >I think you have pinned down where the literature in our hobby needs to
 >go.  We are swamped with general articles on how to set up a planted
 >tank.  What can be said has been said.  Over and over.  * * * But we'll
 >never get there with other peoples' systems and short sets of
 >simple tenets.

Well, as someone who set up her first planted tank a year ago with the
thought that I'd give it a year and see whether it was worth going on or
whether it just wasn't for me, I'm grateful for all those how to articles
and for other people's short sets of simple tenets.  I wanted to keep fish,
and a planted tank sounded healthier than non-planted.  Maybe I'm still
different from most folks on this list because keeping healthy fish is
still my primary goal.  I'd rather kill every plant in a tank than one
fish.  Anyway, I set up my first tank in accordance with Karen Randall's
school room tank instructions and now have one at work set up according to
Walstad's instructions.  The year-old tank is still corking along nicely
and has weathered all sorts of algaes that might have ended its
attractions, and  the plants are flourishing and will turn into a jungle if
I don't keep after it -- thanks in large part to the simple tenets of
people on this list.  The months' old one at work hasn't had visible algae
yet, but when it does I'll be searching through the APD archives and
getting free advice from people who have kept planted tanks successfully
for years.  I don't want to figure this out myself, and I'm not very
interested in why, just how, so to all of you who share the how -- thanks.