Re: that back strip on the cover, anyone replace it?

Catherine,

I always take and leave mine off. CO2 levels don't seem to be affected. *Never* had a problem with jumping livestock, even w/ Caridinia japonica. The other cool thing is that you can slide or move your equipment and cables around without having to cut new pieces out of that wholely annoying plastic strip.

The only thing that would suck is if your hood takes up the entire depth of your tank, in which case, I would probably worry about evaporation.....glass is cheap and fairly easy to work with for an application this simple.

Your local glass co. would probably even cut you a piece for not much dough.

Call around, and good luck,
John Wheeler