From: Kevin Buckley [mailto:kbuckley at nortelnetworks_com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 1:52 AM
To: 'bodin1 at gte_net'
Subject: Re: On the topic of Fe test kits....

Hope you don't mind an off-list response - my company converts all outgoing
email to HTML, regardless of what I want, & it gets bounced by the
list-server so I can NEVER post directly...
I bought the Red Sea Fe kit about a year ago - always read zero, despite the
fact that I was inadvertantly MASSIVELY over-dosing & the tank had so much
black hair algae I could start a wig store (the Red Sea CO2 kit didn't work
either).
I bought the Seachem kit - it also read 0 but I'd heard somewhere on the
list that if the powder in the kit wasn't white (mine was yellow) then the
kit was faulty.  I contacted the Seachem guy (Greg Morin/Moran?) & he mailed
me a replacement by return which works just fine - a great service I
thought.
After a while I stopped dosing with Iron, stopped testing, introduced some
MTS's, stopped vacuuming the mulm & now everything grows just fine -
presumably using whatever is left over from the fish food (I also inject CO2
BTW)!
Hope that helps, Kevin