RE: Moss locations

Nick Wise wrote:

 >I've seen information stating that the aquatic moss Fissidens fontanus
 >can be found in the Tennessee River. Anyone live near it? Might be
 >worth a try...

Nick, could that have been the Little Tennessee River?  I ask because the
species name, fontanus, makes me think of the Fontana lake area, which is
part of the Little Tennessee River along the border between the Smoky
Mountains National Park and the Nantahala National Forest.  I spend a lot
of time in these areas, so I can look around next time I'm
there.  Hopefully within a couple of weeks I'll be able to get some free time.

If it is in fact the "big" Tennessee River, did the info you saw indicate
whether the moss is found throughout the river or just in specific
locations? I'm only familiar with the eastern end of the river where it is
formed by the confluence of the Holston and French Broad rivers and I can't
remember seeing any moss that I'd consider aquarium friendly, but aquatic
gardening didn't overtake my sanity until about a year ago, so I doubt I
would have registered it if I did come across any.

Obviously, I'll need a reference pic or decent line drawing of the moss,
because I don't think I'd know F. fontanus if it walked up and introduced
itself to me.

I will make an attempt to contact some folks I know in the biology dept at
the university before I set out. Maybe they can point me in the right
direction or send me to someone else who can. I also know some people at
TVA that might can help.

CH

Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee  USA