Cameron's mysterious mosses

At 3:48 AM +0800 8/30/01, Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:
>Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:52:15 -0500
>From: "Cameron Case" <cameroncase at hotmail_com>
>Subject: more moss mystery
>
>Well, folks, the moss discussion seems to have died down...  Well, today I
>got an
>order of java moss from aquaticplantdepot.com and guess what...it isn't like
>the java moss I get at the LFS or from AZ Gardens...it isn't willow moss
>like I've gotten from other hobbyists...it IS, however, as near as I can
>tell, the same as the christmas moss that our friend from Singapore sent.

Hi, Cameron,

Maybe I can shed some light on the mystery.  The Christmas Moss which I
sent you will grow differently under different parameters.  When conditions
are perfect, the triangular shapes of the fronds are very distinct and the
colour
is a rich dark green.  But when conditions are less than perfect, like for
instance
when temperatures are too high or when there are not sufficient nutrients, the
Christmas Moss can become unrecognizable.  The triangular shapes will disappear
to be replaced by stringy fronds that would, in all appearances, look very much
like Java Moss.  One thing I am quite sure about is that the lower your
temperatures
are, the more beautiful the Christmas moss will grow.

The Christmas Moss I sent to the good folks here came from many different
tanks.
Most will have very distinct triangular shapes while some may look more
like Java.
When packing the moss, I did try to ensure that everyone will get some
distinct
triangular fronds.  But I have been packing quite a few so I suppose some
folks may
have gotten moss that do not have any.  But it's unlikely.

As for Willow Moss, I have never seen it before but I took a look at the
website that
Anthony Baker posted and they look to me to be like Christmas Moss grown
emmersed.

In any case, I'm sure everyone who has seen the moss wall on my website would
confirm that it couldn't possibly be Java.  But if you are still not quite
sure, please
feel free to take another look at:

http://www.geocities.com/aironfire/page2.htm

Loh K L