UV Sterilizer Bulb

Does a UV sterilizer bulb degrade?  I seem to remember reading that
flourescent bulbs work by giving off uv light which is tranformed into
light with other properties by the coating inside the glass tube.  So does
a bulb with no coating gives off uv light?  What's there to degrade?  I
suspect someone's going to give me a very good reason why they do degrade
so my next question is where can I get bulbs for a Rainbow sterilizer CHEAP?