Decompostion for nutrient cycle

I'm thinking of burying some of the pruned leaves underneath my substrate so
that they can decompose in my tank. However, I'm not sure of the
decompostion process and what will be the consequences. Supposedly my tank
is an established one with all the nitrifying bacteria present so they can
carry out all the nitrification processes efficiently. Can this provide a
significant NO3 source in the water column? I hope someone can explain in
general what substances may be given off during decomposition and the period
for the nitrogen cycle if its actually happening.

Thanks.

Chee Ming ( with limited knowledge in chemistry )