Re: The Dreaded Hair Algea

I too have been fighting slimy hair algae in my 10 gallon tank for over
6-9 months. I recently figured out that the problem is the
"polyphosphate" that the water company adds.  I started using distilled
water with a little epsom salt and a pinch of calcium chloride added for
water changes (and a lot fewer water changes) and the plants started
growing better and the algae died off.  Or, I thought it was dead.  I
did a water change with tap water again a couple weeks ago and the algae
came back with a vengeance. D'oh!

Best regards,
Bob