Re: Amano shrimp

GWAPA, the new Washington, D.C. aquatic plant group
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gwapa), is doing a bulk order of Amano shrimp
this weekend.

I've never kept them because the ghost shrimp that I've put into my tank
have been... well, expensive live food for dwarf cichlids and bettas.  I
don't mind that at less than 10 cents a pop, but I don't plan to throw that
kind of money away on Amano shrimp.  Now, however, I'm moving and might set
up, for the first time in a while, multiple tanks for different kinds of
fish and plants.  That would allow me to keep the shrimp with "safe" fish.

So here's the question... what's a "safe" fish to keep with these shrimp?  I
know dwarf cichlids are out, and I've watched female bettas track down and
slurp up good-sized ghost shrimp.  I imagine that a larger gourami would as
well, but I don't remember whether dwarf gouramis did or not.  Congo tetras
bite hard enough that I probably wouldn't risk it.  Smaller tetras, though,
I'm sure would be fine.  I imagine that larger loaches are out of the
question.  How about the smaller botia striata?  The platies that I've got
breeding like mad in a container outside?  Other suggested/proscribed fish?

Alysoun McLaughlin
Wheaton, MD