substrate co2

    As far as I can tell (from reading in the archives, and D. Walsted's
book):

-organic substrates do generate co2 as a by-product of their decomposition-
Peat generates it in this same way, but at a slower rate, and for a longer
duration than a faster decomposing type of organic matter.  If the low ph of
the peat is raised by something else that is present, it will decompose
faster.

-this co2 enters the water column, where it is only then useable by most
plants.  A limited number of plant species take in co2 from the substrate
through their roots- Isoetes is an example.  Most of the plants we keep in
our tanks don't that, but can use the co2 once it has entered the water
column.

    Zach K