More MH lighting questions....

Bill, I have a standard ballast on the MH over my orchids.  If it were in
the great room, where my tank is, I would be drawn and quartered by the
other members of the house!  If noise is an issue, take a look at the Icecap
electronic ballast for MH. It is quiet, barely even gets warm, did I mention
it is quiet?  It is more expensive than the standard ballast.  I think it
was around $170ish.  However, my spouse is happy.

Can't help you on the light spillage, I have an enclosed hood.

Daphne