a useful tool

I was recently tying java moss, java fern, and christmas moss to driftwood
and riccia to stone for basically the first time.  After fighting with the
thread on the java fern I thought to myself, "There must be a better way."
Well, scratching my head, I came to realize that I had just the tool I
needed.  I tie flies for fishing, and one of the standard tools is a thread
bobbin.  Basically, it is this little "Y" shaped tube/clamp combo that hold
the spool steady while you pull thread through.  It is designed for just
what I was doing--wrapping thread.  If this is an old suggestion and
everyone but me has been doing this for years, then forgive me and be happy
that at last I too found it.  If it is not something altogether new, then
you might want to give it a try.  It won't work for large spools (like most
fishing line), but it works like a charm on sewing type thread and makes all
those wraps nice and tight.  They are fairly cheap (probably a couple of
dollars in the fishing department of a sporting goods store, or for $3.50 at
Orvis:
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf%5Fid=FC540E&cat%5Fid=182&subcat%5Fid=1&Dir%5Fid=11&Group%5Fid=48),
and if you tie much with thread, very useful.
Cheers,
Cameron