Re:400w over a 33 gal tank

Hi Damian,

I have some first hand experience with this one! Dont do it!

I upgraded my tank from 55 gal to 120 gal, and went from 200 watts to 615.

I was really proud of the setup and thinking everything was going to be
great. I am finally done with my green water problems after buying a UV
sterilizer that I never needed on my 55. Also, I have decreased the wattage
from 615 to 440 (I have an expensive MH bulb that I don't even turn on!!)

at 440, everything grows great (1 foot growth of rotala indica in 8 days!)

Someone told me that having 615 watts on this system was like driving a
sports car really really fast. You can get great results but you can crash
very easily. One drop too much fert or one day behind on a water change and
the system goes haywire. Very unforgiving with that much light. I am very
happy with my 4 watts per gallon right now. I'm going to think long and hard
before I turn on that MH bulb again!

Robin