Re: Re: algae, Excel and economists

One of the golden rules of horticulture is that
undesirable species of plants are not a problem if the
needs of the desirable species are met.  This is true
whether you're trying to control Clover in a stand of
hybrid St. Augustine grass or hair algae in a stand of
rare aquatics.  Using Excel to control algae might
work, but it works for the 'wrong' reasons.  If it
works, it works because what's in the stuff meets the
needs of the higher order plants while denying the
needs of the algae.  The good plants grow, the algae
dies, the trains run on time, God rests more
comfortably on his throne, yadda yadda.

Fertilizers aren't algicides, but the folks at Scotts
and Parkers have been touting their products as part
of an overall program that keeps your grass healthy
and helps it crowd out weeds.  They don't claim that
Product X controls weeds, but they do claim that using
Product X in an overall program of turf management
does control weeds.  I see no reason why the makers of
aquatic fertilizers could not promote their products
in a similar fashion.

> [T]hus a cost/benefit analysis suggests it makes no
> logical sense to expend a disproportionate share of
> resources and money on a product solely for
> promotional reasons that represents an extremely
> minute share of the total revenue of said company.

Oh gawd...  Another economist.  ;-)