Trimming rotala macrandra

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has the magic bullet for trimming
this plant. For me, it seems that whenever I cut it,
it sulks for about a week -- the top part starts
putting out wrinkled , stunted leaves while the bottom
part with the root does nothing until it puts out new
shoots.

Once it gets going, I can't control the damn thing :-)

Any advice for avoiding/reducing the trimming shock on
this plant?

Martin