substrate hypothesis

I have started cycling a 135gal tank, but no substrate
or lights yet.

So I was thinking about doing an experiment with the
substrate.  I suppose one could say I am in the
school-of-substrate-skeptics.  I have had good success
without the addition of laterite or flourite.

So if I were to do 1/2 of the tank with flourite, and
1/2 with plain gravel, would I see a difference?  The
one important variable that I can think of would be
co2 distribution, but other than that, is this a
worthy experiment?

My one caveat is that I am not a sword/root-feeder
fan.  I prefer stem plants.  Perhaps the experiment
would be more worthy if I was using swords, crypts,
and the like.

Arthur
http://www.geocities.com/anwestover