Re: Plant Filters

Jerry Leong <jl86 at earthlink_net> wrote:

>I am thinking of building a Plant filter for my 30-gallon tank, and using
>swordplants (dwarf (grisbachii or latifolius), bleheri, or cordifolius), and using
>2-15 W fluorescent bulbs for illumination.  Does anyone know how large these swords
>will get if grown emersed, and how far above the plants' maximum size should the
>fluorescent bulbs be placed?

IME sword plants do not make for a good plant filter. Thet are root feeders,
meaning they will remove nutrients mostly from the substrate, not from the
water column. Even in nutrient-rich water they won't grow well unless the
substrate is fertilized. I would use instead fast growing stem plants such
as watersprite and hygro. Or better yet, floating plants such as water
hyacynt.

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD