No Subject

>Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 09:52:24 -0400
>From: "James Purchase" <jppurchase at Home_com>
>Subject: Re: How the moss got its name

>Call me anal if you will, but I like to know what is growing in my tanks.

Hi, James,

No, I won't call you anal.  Maybe some other name perhaps, but not that :)
You have a good point there and I can understand that I may be adding to
the confusion
about the moss's name.  But until I know for sure what is its actual name, I
will have to keep calling it Christmas Moss.

The moss that I have sent out to the hobbyists on this list is, to all
appearances,
similar to the moss that appears in Amano's Nature Aquarium Book 2 pages
20 and 21. In those pictures, the moss is listed as unknown.  Obviously, Amano
didn't know the name either but that didn't stop him from growing the plant :)

As for the moss growing conditions, it doesn't need temperatures as low as
21 C.
The lowest I ever got in my tanks was 24.3 C on one very cold December morning.
Mostly, the temp in my tanks hover around 27 C.  I know for a fact that the
moss
is not a demanding plant.  If it is, I wouldn't have been able to grow it,
that's for sure.
I'm one of the laziest hobbyists around.  Anything that needs special care
will not
grow in my tanks.

They grow in all the five tanks that I have.  All 5 tanks have different
parameters.
Some have CO2 and some do not.  Two have artificial lighting while the
other 3 uses
sunlight.  The moss is not fussy about lighting.  It will grow under any
sort of lighting
intensity.  The only difference will be in the shape of the fronds.  Under
shade, their
triangular shapes become very distinct.  In other words, it becomes more
beautiful.
It doesn't need any extra fertilisation either. I never add fertiliser to
my 2 balcony tanks
and strangely, that's where the moss grows best.  Maybe its got something
to do with
sunlight but I don't really know.

What I do know is that the water from our taps in Singapore is very soft
with Ph 7
and Kh 0.  I never do anything to alter Kh.  As for Ph, I suppose it should
be around
6.8 in my tanks that has CO2 injection but I never check, so I can't be
sure either.

Loh K L