Power Compacts vs. VHO's

    I'm currently using standard fluorescents on my planted tanks, but I'm
setting up a 60 gal. tank planted with mangrove saplings, and so looking into
more intense lighting to suspend over the tank.  The electricity in my
apartment building can be erratic at times with power failures lasting 1 to 5
minutes not uncommon, so I fear trying metal halides would result in a
disaster.  The two next best options seem to be either 4 96-watt power compacts
or 4 110-watt Icecap VHO's.
    Does anybody have any thoughts, suggestions or experiences on which option
(s) might be the better way to go?

Much thanks in advance for you help,
John Phillips