re:RE: Calif aquatic plant "regs"

You are kidding right? I think that you've got a really messed up idea about
what "natural evolution" means. To think that introducing a plant from the
other side of the planet into our waterways, and having it potentially out
compete any and all native species, as due process is ludicrous. Do you
really think that the colliding of continents and the erosion of mountains
are good comparisons, with respect to nature, for what we might do to
satisfy our immediate desires? These are the kinds of things that take
hundreds of millions of years to occur. Evolution is by design and necessity
a slow process. In the places where milfoil and hyacinth come from there
isn't a problem because nature has had time to adapt. Other plants are able
to hold their ground, there are animals that eat them, etc. When you
introduce a non- native species of plant or animal to an area, and said area
is not prepared, chaos ensues and nature becomes what the educated call
"imbalanced". You are questioning this notion and suggest that it may simply
be a "new natural". Let me address this point with an example. Ever heard of
the feral cat problem in Australia? These are common housecats, non-native
to the area, that have spread throughout the outback and wilderness of the
continent. They have few enemies and hunt for sport. They are spreading like
a plague, wiping out much of the indigenous population of small animals
including, but not limited to, birds, lizards and rodents. Much of which
would've been supplied to the pet trade. What about the buck that those
people would've used to feed their families? How about rethinking your
comments on livelihood but this time realize that for a region to be
economically enriched most often the land has to be enriched as well. In
Minn. I expect that milfoil is choking the waterways, hindering travel and
trade. It could quite possibly also be having an impact on the animal life
since it may kill the plants that certain fish may survive on . I know that
is the case with hydrilla in Florida since that is where I am from. (Yes,
the flowers are pretty). And what about kudzu? I believe it may have spread
to AL (where you're from) by now. This is a non- native species of vine has
spread throughout the south starving foliage of sunlight and inevitably
killing every tree it encounters. And aren't those jellyfish you speak of
wiping out some of the natural fish populations in your area? I'm sure your
local fishermen aren't too happy about that. Yes I'm sure that in time
they'd have eventually sprouted wings and flew there but by that time your
local fish population would be driving heavily armored tanks. Smart. True,
dramatic events such as meteorites do happen but are very traumatic and
usually catastrophic. Remember the dinosaurs, David? (Now there's a
comparison; man = meteorite). Look, you don't have to be "down with man" or
even down with aquatic plant importation. You just have to be pro
responsibility. I agree that for the state and federal regulators to simply
assign a "Q" rating to play it safe is a "shirking of duty". It is, or
should be, somebody's job to make an educated assessment of each and every
plant. Obviously, allot more hangs on their decisions than they realize.
(Thanks to Mr. Gomberg for bringing that point to the fore with his letter).
That being said, if "we don't like the results of our oopses", and do not
want to have to pay for them when they occur, than we should err on the side
of caution no matter how hurtful it may be to our precious hobbies in the
short term. And for the record, here in California we don't have very many
waterways, natural or not. The ones that we do have are the only means by
which we are able to provide irrigation to most of the state. If water flow
were restricted in any way the state could die. We do not live on a swamp
like you Mr. Luckie. I will go out on a limb to say that most of us on this
list consider ourselves naturalists in the way that we love having a little
piece of nature in our homes and that we value this nature above all else.
You, my friend, I think just like to play God.

>People who would always choose in favor of protecting
>the environment should ask themselves:  "How much am >I willing to pay the
hobbyists and dealers, who are
>being made worse off because of my actions?"

Um, exactly what environment do you think the hobbyists and dealers will be
growing their plants anyway?
Sincerely, Kurt N.