Re: Algae and DO

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Tom Barr wrote:

> You can get 500% saturation values with
> algae in natural waters.(40-50ppm of O2) or 200-300% in ponds even during a
> eutrophic bloom.

Tom,

This observation seems to conflict with the idea that high DO suppresses
algae.  If algae were suppressed by high DO how would they ever be able to
push oxygen levels in a eutrophic system to 2-5 times saturation?

The algae in our tanks probably isn't the same algae that can thrive with
300% oxygen saturation in a pond.  Perhaps the algae that are common in
our aquariums are suppressed by high oxygen levels, while algae in general
are not.

Roger Miller