RE: Calif aquatic plant "regs"

Please forgive me, as I'm just butting in on this discussion of Californian
Plant Regulations...

I am not a professional in any aspect to this, but speaking as a citizen of
a state whose lakes
were invaded by an unnatural plant (Eurasian Water Milfoil), I can fully
understand the
"Classify it as Q, just to be safe"... the idea is that until you know for
certian that it won't
damage the environment when/if it's introduced, you play it safe. To this
day, Minnesota still has a
problem with Milfoil, and it's looking doubtful that we will ever be able to
remove this intruder
from our local ecosystem. The benefits of playing it safe, while possibly
difficult for aquatic plant
importers, distributors and entusiasts, greatly outweigh any downsides. I
might describe the notion of
"let's just do whatever we want" as capricous and cavalier. I would always
choose in favor of protecting
our environment over letting a few people make a buck or satisfy a
hobbyist's desire.

Thanks for listening
-Bree in MN, land of milfoil and zebra mussels that don't belong