Re: GH

I said:

> "I have a GH of 24. If you have higher it might hurt some plants but none
> have been hurt per se in any way that I can tell from the high GH."
>
> Great, that's what I was hoping to hear.
>
> "CO2 or nutrients(namely macro's) are the two big problems. Keep those
> stable, and you will do extremely well with plants."
>
> I've got good light, CO2, have N, I assume I have P, and I dose K daily and
> also dose a bit of Mg just in case.
> Mg and K are derived from sulfate, so that would give me some S.
> Does that cover the macro's?
>
> "And the crypts do very well.
> Regards,Tom Barr"
>
> So happens the various crypts I have do the best, they have always been
> healthy, which isn't true for all other plants I have.
> Funny thing about my tank right now is that different plants show different
> problem signs.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Bostick

I think if you do in fact have decent CO2 and decent N(I'll assume decent P,
plant don't show much signs of P deficiency, adding some increases growth
and deeper greens etc especially in some plants) then you should try
doubling your Traces or cranking them way up. Many are very conservative
with them. That's all that's left if the others are in order. If you add the
recommended amount then you likely have this problem. Try it and see. After
a couple of weeks you should notice a big difference. Actually sooner.

Also you might note that harder waters need more traces than softer waters!
My Traces sit in the 1.0ppm or higher as iron via a SeaChem and Lamott kit.
As Tropica master grow or Flourish(I have several tanks). It's doubtful you
need the extra Mg with high GH's. You can call the water company to find out
but it's seldom an issue when it's that high. Crypts can handle lower NO3
than other plants though. Make sure the N is good and the CO2. I always go
back and double check those if I'm suspicious of some nutrient/parameter.
Regards,
Tom Barr