Filtration Question

This is only related to plants in that I will keep plants in the tanks in
question. Is it possible to use T-connectors in a canister inflow/outflow
line in order to filter multiple tanks via one canister? I recently got 3
small tanks (2-15g and one 20g) for dirt cheap and I'd rather not have 3
small filters for these tanks but rather ONE canister, which I have an extra
of. I have a feeling that the canister would use the path of least
resistance and draw/dump most of the water to the nearest tank, to the
detriment of the other two. Maybe I could use inline valves to balance out
the flow between the tanks? Anyone have any related experience to offer?