rocks in the aquarium

Roger, thanks for all the info. I think you made an excellent point on the
dissolve/disperse comment.  I do NOT know that it actually dissolves.  It
definitely disperses but since I didn't find a layer of it on anything I
just assumed it dissolved.  I can't say definitively that it does dissolve
but it definitely makes a mess for a few minutes :) .

It is rust-red-orangey colored but is not slimy underwater.  More like a
loose, dry, crumbly texture underwater.

Sounds like the plants will not be affected either way though if I
understood correctly.  Appreciate the expertise.

Daphne in Hotlanta