Re: Yeast in your tank

> First and foremost, I would like to apologise for quoting Thomas Barr in
> saying that yeast pose an algae threat. I misread his reply regarding to
> "more light" to an APD member. Sorry :)

What I do now?:)

> As for my CO2 setup, I have been doing it for more than 3 mths and is doing
> fine. The CO2 bottle is placed beneath a semi-suspended driftwood hidden
> from the front view. The gas emitted will be trapped within the cavities
> below the driftwood so that they won't disappear so fast to the surface.

You can run some current by these bubbles that will help increase CO2
content greatly BTW. Just adjust your powerhead/filter output to do this.

> Due to the small capacity of the bottle, I have to work extra diligent in
> changing the mixture every 5-6 days which I'm willing to do so.

You say that now. For how long?:) Ever want to go on a week vacation?:)

> I add about
> 4 sachets of fine sugar ( for coffee ) and less than 1/8 teaspoon of yeast
> and fill the 100 ml bottle up to about 80 % full. I've observed that if too
> much yeast is added, it foams alot and perhaps might be used up faster.
> After shaking the mixture thoroughly, I let the bottle stand for at least an
> hour so that the chamber will be filled with CO2. After which I can just
> place it directly in the water. However, the rate at which it emits bubbles
> is not constant but overall dissolved CO2 would be constant. Sometimes, it
> produces 3 bubbles per second, sometimes a squirt of more than a hundred
> tiny bubbles within 10 seconds. I do not worry about water seeping into the
> bottle as the gas pressure built up within will not allow it to do so and
> can only emit gas.

Your asking for it with your method. I've seen some nutty things but this
one is way up there. But I guess it can work.

> Sometimes, yeast does get into my tank by accident. When I noticed that CO2
> production is noticeably lower, I would take the bottle up, press the
> stopper, shake vigourously and put it back in the water. But the moment I
> release my thumb from the stopper, it exploded blowing the whole stopper out
> and the milky solution gets into my tank water. My tank is definitely
> contaminated with yeast but clarity of water remains good. What I'm worried
> about is that yeast might react with my plant nutrients rendering it useless
> for plant use. Will it?

Not really. I think a nice milky tank with dead fish is a more pressing
concern. The yeast will not bug the plants that much but the fish can and
will die if your not careful.......and eventually this will happen. Then
you'll be pissed. Then you'll change this method that you seem to hold so
dear for some reason. Some folks learn the hard way. I understand. I'm quite
hard headed myself and needed to learn many things this way. But that's your
choice. The odds are against you on this one.

> Pls do not advise me to buy a CO2 gas cylinder or
> build an external DIY CO2 system. IMO, they are so
> unsightly and bulky, I have no space 4 'em :(

Simply place such system out of the way and have a long silicone gas line
going to the tank. Or you can install it inside the hood or you can get a
slip cover for the bottle or get a nice looking bottle/container.
All those are simple and easy. Or use something like SeaChem's Excel for a C
source.  I see no reason for ever placing the CO2 bottle inside your tank.
Maybe not today but sometime you will kill all your fish doing this. That
IMO is not a good set up. Fish are expensive and die fast.

Regards,
Tom Barr