Re: Stoichiometry Anyone?

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 20:51:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Todd H

> A search of the archives turned up the following formula
> which seems to be the basis for the CO2 charts on The Krib:
>
> CO2 (mg/L) = 12.839 * KH * 10^(6.37 - pH)
>
> If my understanding of the definition of KH is correct, then
> this formula seems to have an incorrect conversion of KH
> to moles HCO3-.
> Is it correct that:
>
> 1 GH = 1 KH = 10 mg/L CaO = .3566 meq/L =
> .3566 mmoles/L HCO3-?
>
> For the result to indicate dissolved CO2 in mg/L, shouldn't the
> constant be... about 22% higher?

Continue looking through those same archives - you will also discover when
it's appropriate to use calcium oxide instead of the carbonate you're
adjusting to (if ever), or the difference between HCO3 and CO3.

(As a hint: find that old historical definition of "KH" and see if you find
"oxides" listed...)

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10 at mindspring_com