Re: price of Microsorum pteropus

Folks,

My LFS sells java fern (M. pteropus) for less than $5 US.  These aren't
premium plants, just starts with 2-4 leaves on a couple inches of
rhizome.  The same shop sells premium plants at fairly high prices.
They got $34 US for a single fully-developed Barclaya longifolia that I
traded in for credit.  They have offered large potted "mother" swords
for similar amounts.

Java fern grows pretty slowly when submersed, but it usually grows
emersed in nature.  I suspect that commercial growers grow it emersed
and that it will grow that way much faster than it will grow when
submersed.

Roger Miller